Do you want to send funeral thank you notes to the kind friends and relatives who supported you in your time of need? Whether you need to thank people for cards, sharing memories, money, or financial help, you can find sympathy thank you wording on this page.
It is not necessary to a thank you note to every person who came to pay their respects during calling hours. These days, there is a greater understanding of the emotional toll losing a loved one takes.
Handwritten thank you notes after a death are not as expected as they once were. PLEASE do not feel too pressured at this delicate time in your life. It is fine to sign a pre-printed card provided by your funeral home.
However, should you choose to send a handwritten thank you note after a death or funeral according to more traditional standards, they are intended to be sent within two weeks of services to the following people:
- Anyone who sent flowers, donations, gifts or cards
- Friends and loved ones who provided services such as babysitting, food, or driving in the funeral procession
Etiquette Tip: A cousin or other family member can write a thank you letter in response to a sympathy letter, flowers or other token of condolence if the recipient of the letter or gift cannot write the letter him or herself. There is no need to explain why you are writing on another’s behalf.
Formal Example of Writing on Behalf of Another
Dear Mr. and/or Ms. (Name/s),
On behalf of my (insert good friend, cousin, neighbor, patient, sister, aunt, etc), _______, I want to thank you for the beautiful floral arrangement and card (or expressing your sympathy, generous charitable donation, wonderful photos of our mother, etc) you sent to honor the memory of (insert deceased). Your thoughtfulness during this difficult time is greatly appreciated.
General Funeral Thank You Wording
Thank You for Coming (not required)
• Thank you for coming to the funeral. Your presence at the services is truly appreciated. At times like these, the company of friends is incredibly comforting. Thanks again.
• Thank you for your thoughtfulness. Your generosity and support during this difficult time is greatly appreciated.
For attendance and condolence card
• This is a very difficult time for all of us. We are saddened by the passing of ____________. Your presence helped to lighten our burden. I was grateful to enjoy your company and hear your lovely memories.
For condolence card only (This is completely optional. Do not feel compelled to provide a condolence letter to a short note or card. It IS NOT expected.)
• Thank you for your thoughtful and kind card of condolence. It was a comfort to the entire family.
For a heartfelt long letter of sympathy
• Thank you for your heartfelt letter of condolence. It was thoughtful and kind of you to take the time to share your memories of ________ with me. Your words were not only a comfort, but a source of strength for my family and me in this difficult time. Thank you.
Funeral Thank You Note to Clergy or Spiritual Counselor
• Thank you for your spiritual council and services at the funeral. At times like these, your guidance means more than ever. Thanks again.• Thank you for your services at the funeral and your comforting council. God is with us all especially when we are mourning, and your presence in our lives makes that fact easier to remember and keep the faith. Thanks again.
Thank You for the Photos of Loved One
• Thank you for sending the beautiful photos of _____ as a child. It was very thoughtful of you to send them. Looking at the pictures reminds helps to remember the happy times. Your thoughtfulness and friendship is really appreciated. Thanks again.
For flowers, donation or gift
• Thank you for your thoughtfulness in sending the lovely flowers / generous donation in ________ honor. Your kind thoughts are greatly appreciated.
• Thank you for sending the beautiful floral arrangement. This is a difficult time for all of us. I appreciate your kind support and beautiful symbol of remembrance to _________ . Thank you.
For providing help
• Thank you for your thoughtfulness in helping me with the food and guests at the services. I am so grateful for your helping hand in my time of need. Thanks again.
For attendance, flowers, of closer friends
• Thank you for attending the services and the lovely flowers. I appreciate you taking the time to come and share in the remembrance of ___________. Although this is a sad time for all of us, I find comfort in knowing how fortunate, he/she and I have been to know you.
• Thank you for serving as a pallbearer. You are a reliable and dear friend. Your contributions to the services were a tremendous comfort. I will be eternally grateful. Thank you.
Sympathy Thank You Wording for Money & Financial Assistance
General Money Gift
• Thank you for your generous gift to hope us through the hard times following Dad’s death. Your assistance has helped alleviate the pressure of so many mounting bills. Your help and support has meant so much to us all words cannot express our gratitude for you enough. Your generosity will be remembered always. Thanks again.
Partial Financial Assistance with funeral services
• Thank you for your generous gift. We used it to help pay for the services. Your friendship, support, and incredible kindness has been a tremendous blessing during this difficult time. Our gratitude for you is unending. Thank you.
To say thank you for paying for funeral services in full
• Thank you for so generously taking care of the funeral services. Your generosity and kindness brings tears to my eyes. The services were absolutely beautiful. Your friendship and support is truly a blessing. Words cannot express my feelings of gratefulness. Thank you.
A few words from me about your sympathy thank you card wording
Sending thank you cards can feel overwhelming. I, too, have suffered the loss of loved ones. And I will let you in on a secret. I never sent thank you notes after the funeral. It was long before I ever started this site and a lot of the inspiration for starting it.
It is not that I did not appreciate the cards, flowers, and offers of support. It was not that I did not want to show my gratitude. I just could not find the words at the time.
Wording a sympathy thank you can seem overwhelming when dealing with so many emotions. It may seem the last thing you want to write.
And yet sometimes, expressing thanks gives even more to the sender than the receiver. Sending funeral thank you notes after a death can be a healing way to honor those who share your loving memories as well as honoring those who have passed away.
You can copy the notes above word for word or just use them as a guide. And don’t forget, when people as “if there’s anything I can do” you can have them come over to help you write your funeral thank you cards or simply give them a link to this page along with your address book.
I’m sorry about the death of your loved one. Perhaps you will visit again when if you ever need to send thanks for a wedding gift, bonus at work or anniversary thank you. I look forward to having the honor of being of service on a happier occasion as well.
Until then, I hope you find these sample letters of sympathy for use in your time of need. You can find more sympathy and bereavement wording pages here.